Choosing The Perfect Date Night Outfit + A Date Night Inspired Look
A Style Guide.
Date nights can be magical. However, choosing the perfect date-night outfit leaves many wishing they had a fairy god mother on speed dial. Personally, I’m a sucker for date nights; whether it’s a first date or those reoccurring ones that sends relationship spark flying sky-high. One frequent question that comes with the excitement of scoring a date is “what to wear?”. I have fumbled my way into a practical and easy means of picking out the right date night outfit (thanks to my days of trial and errors). To save you the time and stress of what to wear. I’ve put together a simple style guide that will help you choose the ideal outfit for your next date night. Here are some tips on my get-ready secrets.
Date Night Outfit Essentials.
– Be You: You’re about to go on a date with someone interesting and you have jitter, do not let those jitter or your wish to impress overshadow your true self. Your sense of style and personality are the first things people perceive before the get to talk to you or know you. Make sure these factors are considered when choosing a date night outfit. Pick outfits that express your sense of style and enables your personality shine through. Apart from the comfort that comes with dressing your style, you’ll feel good and in turn, relaxed to enjoy your date night .
– Find Your Date Night Fashion Language: you’re probably wondering what this means. Its easy; for me its the 3 Fs: Feminine, flirty and fun. Try to understand and define what you want as your date night fashion language. I find that dressing for a date with my DNFL (date night fashion language) in mind makes it easy for me to pick an outfit and be intentional about the look I’m going for. My outfit choice isn’t the only thing tied to my DNFL, I consider it when incorporating perfume, accessories and shoes. Talk about total package.
– Dress For The occasion/ Location: This is a very integral aspect of choosing an ideal date night outfit. Do not dress like you’re going on a game date when you’re going on a swanky museum date or in thin fabric cloth to a chilly place. Ensure you dress appropriately for the occasion or place . For instance, choose a little black dress, delicate jewelry and heels when going on a swanky type date. Opt for skinny jeans, a statement blouse and a simple pair of sandal for laid back dates like movie or bar date.
– Go for outfits that can be layered: the weather can sometimes be bipolar; one minute its hot and the next its cold. Pick outfits that are flexible so that a jacket or scarf can be added in case of weather change without messing up your look or an outfit that looks good with heels or flat. You never know when you might need a change of shoes.
– Pick accessories and colors that look good at night: colors like green, olive and red looks good under warm lighting that most restaurant have at night. Explore color that not only looks good at night but on your skin too, you can’t go wrong with accessories that compliment your outfit, makeup and face. Dazzle your date with a few smile here and there; its one accessory that looks good anywhere and anytime. Now, go forth and enjoy your date night.
What I’m Wearing.
As for my date night inspired look – I’m wearing a vintage velvet dress that I thrifted some time ago. The fluidity of the dress and the criss-cross back detail are some elements that makes it feminine and flirty. The white stiletto shoes adds a nice contrast to the color of the dress yet it complements the white faux pearl part of my earrings. For a defined waist line, i threw on a black corset belt. check out other inspired looks here.
Follow my Instagram and watch my instastories today to see the dress in motion. ill be posting some retro type video to showcase this date night look some more. Would you wear this outfit on a date night?